Summer is almost here and for a lot of us that means summer travel plans. But traveling does not have to mean falling off the wagon when it comes to your nutrition. Follow these 5 easy tips and keep your nutrition in check during your next summer vacation.
- Pack high protein snacks for long car rides, boat trips, beach trips, or days spent in the mountains. Having snacks that are mostly protein will help you feel your best and keep your body functioning the way it should. Protein bars, powders, ready made shakes, hardboiled eggs, beef jerky or deli turkey are all high protein, easy, packable snacks.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Have a Hydroflask or Nalgene bottle? Great, fill it up at least 3 times a day. Water is so important to almost every bodily function. It’s also lost very quickly during the hotter months and when doing any activities outside. Aim to drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day + more on days when you are outside sweating a lot.
- Get in movement. It doesn’t have to be your typical gym workout routine but try to get in some sort of movement every day on your vacation. Go on a hike, a long beach walk, wakeboard, play a game of soccer or kickball. Just get out and get moving!
- Pack your groceries and take them with you or go to a grocery store when you get to your destination. Shop the outer aisles of the store looking for mostly fruits and vegetables, lean sources of protein and high protein dairy. Aim to make 2 meals a day at home and balance your plate with a mix of protein, carbs, and fats.
- Decompress and destress. Use this time away from your normal routine to really relax and enjoy your time away. Try keeping a gratitude journal and jot down things that are bringing you joy every day. Remember to relax and have fun, you are on vacation!