Chances are, we all know someone who has tried the latest and greatest fad diet and gotten amazing results. But how do we know if that diet is the best for us? And how do we know if those results are sustainable long term?
From Paleo, to Keto, to low fat, to Whole 30 , to Intermittent Fasting- there are a lot of differing opinions out there. So how do you know which one is the best?
Spoiler alert: there isn’t one.
Every one of these diets contain foundational nutrition elements that are key to a healthy, balanced lifestyle that is maintainable for the long haul.
Those key elements are:
- Emphasizing whole foods over heavily processed foods
- Consuming enough quality protein
- Eating lots of vegetables in a variety of colors
- Prioritizing high nutrient density
- Eating slowly, enjoying your food until satisfied
- Minimizing high sugar, processed foods
Everything else about the diet is just up to preference. Whether you want to eat higher fat lower carb, eat only vegetables and no meat, or make bread your love language is completely up to you.
As long as you are following those key nutrition elements, you can eat however you want to eat. So next time someone tells you about the newest and best diet out there, rest assured that you already know what the best diet to follow is.